History of The Ridge


The Ridge Guesthouse is owned and managed by Mark & Rozy Henderson.

 

In 1952 Jack and Agnes Davidson (Alistar, Roy and Glen’s parents) bought the first Richards Bay Hotel which, at the time, consisted only of a few rondavels (round thatch buildings). Back then, Richards Bay was a quaint fishing village with only 36 permanent residents! Many of the old photographs collected over the years now line the walls of the Guesthouse and Bar area, giving a clear indication of how things were in those days for the early pioneers of this town and how it has grown into the town we know today!

 

The original home of Jack and Agnes forms part of the guesthouse which was built in 1967. Jack and Agnes were interesting characters. Our restaurant Jack’s Corner is named after Jack and his pub was where the bar is today. Agnes was the first woman pilot to fly for the RAF in WW II. A number of ex-residents have returned to Richards Bay after many years remembering their childhood and reminiscing over the old photographs. We have the Davidson’s love of history and belonging, to thank for this well documented history of the area for us all to enjoy.

 

In 1996 it was decided amongst the Davidson brothers to extend the original home into a guesthouse and through extensive alterations, No 1 Jack’s Corner became The Ridge Guesthouse.