History

The Ridge Guesthouse is owned by Roy & Debbie Davidson and Mark & Rozy Henderson. It is presently managed by Mark & Rozy.

In 1952 Jack and Agnes Davidson (Alistar, Roy and Glen’s parents) bought the first Richards Bay Hotel, then just a couple of rondavels (round thatch buildings). Back then, Richards Bay was a quaint fishing village with only 36 permanent residents! Many of the old photographs line the walls of the Guesthouse and Bar area, giving a clear indication of how things were in those days for the early pioneers of this town and how it has grown into the town we know as Richards Bay today!

The original home of Jack and Agnes forms part of the guesthouse which was built in 1967. Jack and Agnes were interesting characters. Our restaurant Jack’s Corner is named after Jack and his pub was where the bar is today. Agnes was the first woman pilot and flew for the RAF in WW II. A number of ex residents have returned to Richards Bay after many years remembering their childhood and reminisced over the old photographs. We have the Davidson’s love of history and belonging to thank for this.

In 1996 it was decided amongst the Davidson brothers to extend the original home into a guesthouse and through extensive alterations, No 1 Jack’s Corner became The Ridge Guesthouse. 

logo kzn New fedhasa TGC-Logo logozbr new AA